Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas 2006

“The Dillon 6” send Christmas Greetings from The Great Northwest…

Please note our e-mail address: thedillon6@comcast.net

Laurel: * “I turned 8 years old in May and my Daddy baptized and confirmed me on Mother’s Day ~ the same day that baby Dana was blessed! 8 is the age of accountability, and that means I have to take responsibility for all of my choices because I’m old enough to know the difference between right and wrong. We had lots of family visit us that weekend ~ including my favorite cousins. We went camping a lot this summer...to the Wenatchee Confluence (confluence is where 2 rivers meet and become 1 river) and I caught 3 fish with Rick...And then to Ocean Shores with our cousins and we spent a lot of time building humongous sandcastles...and at the Ohanapecosh River on Mt. Rainier (we are going to camp there every year from now on). My 3rd grade teacher’s name is Mrs. Garmey and she is very nice! I do various Zero Hour classes (that means I go an hour early or stay an hour late after school) including Clay class, Powerpoint, Battle of the Books, and Cupstacking. In October, my cousins Alex, Matthew and Tyler got baptized and we went to their baptisms in Utah. It was the same weekend as General Conference and my Daddy took me to see the Saturday Morning Session at the Conference Center; then we went to lunch with my cousin Erik and his dad. But one of my favorite things was that Holly married Matt and I got to be a FLOWER GIRL.I looked beautiful and so did Aubrey and Holly and the rest of the wedding party. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!” *a very condensed version from Laurel

Malcolm: I am 6½. My first grade teacher is Ms. Piche — she was also Laurel’s 1st and 2nd grade teacher; she’s very nice. My favorite part of school is playing soccer and kickball at recess. Sometimes I play tetherball until my hands crack and peel. I played baseball and soccer again this year...my favorite sport is basketball and I get to play on a team in January. I am good at basketball. I am a very good big brother (again)...but I really wanted her to be a brother and not another sister. I can make Dana laugh and laugh!! She loves me. When my old nanny Holly married Matt in April, they asked me to be the ring bearer...I looked very handsome in my tux. But my faux-hawk stole the show! This summer we went to Mt. Rainier and we camped at Ohanapecosh (site A48). I met a friend named Zach (I miss him). I liked playing in the river and hiking to the Grove of the Patriarchs. I hope when we go back next summer that our campsite isn’t flooded and ruined. We went camping at other places, and I got to see Rick and Deb in Wenatchee. Before the Bike Safety Rodeo in May my daddy took me to get his bike fixed. While we were waiting, I saw a great bike and I told Daddy, “Oooh. If I had that bike, I’d be so AWESOME!” At the end of the Bike Safety Rodeo I won the very last prize — a NEW BIKE...I chose the very same bike I’d seen earlier that day! It has cool pegs and I can ride it fast. The End.

Aubrey: I am 4½ and my Mommy pushed a baby sister out! Her name is Dana and she is so cute. I like to play with her, but I forget that she’s not a doll. I get to go to Mrs. Cloud’s PreSchool and I LOVE it! I am learning how to write my name (line down, line down, bridge!). When Holly got married to Matt I was a flower girl and I wore a beautiful dress and carried a big flower! At Church I am a Sunbeam and I am learning to be more reverent during Primary and Sacrament Meeting. In the summertime we went camping lots of times! One time Mommy took us to Wenatchee Confluence State Park and we got to ride on a boat and go fishing. Then our whole entire family went camping at Mt. Rainier ~ I’ve always wanted to go there. Even we took some cousins with us. I slept in a tent in a sleeping bag and we cooked over a fire and ate marshmallows! I want to go back there!

Baby Dana: I couldn’t wait to join this crazy family, so I surprised my Mommy and Daddy by arriving 4-weeks early! I guess I had second thoughts though, because after the initial push to get out, I waited for another 12 hours before making my debut. Even though I was technically a “preemie” I weighed in at a healthy 7 pounds 10 ounces. I have red hair like my big sister Laurel, but I mostly look like my cute (and very funny) brother. I have decided to be a very good baby for my Mommy since I gave her such a hard time while she was pregnant. I am almost always patient, happy and content. I can chill-out by myself or giggle and laugh with my sisters and brother; I also like hanging out with Daddy. I’m looking forward to more camping next summer ~ I’ve already been camping 4 times and it’s a lot of fun!

Melissa: It’s been interesting adjusting to having a baby again (I forgot a lot of the “little” details during the 4 year gap between Aubrey and Dana). Mother’s Day was one of the best ~ baby Dana was blessed in Church (by her Daddy) and Laurel was baptized and confirmed (also by her Daddy). We were happy to see lots of family! The kids and I were off and running this summer! We ventured off without Daddy and went camping at Wenatchee Confluence State Park. And then we joined the May-cousins at Ocean Shores for 2 nights. The Ward Campout at Ensign Ranch was fun, too; we discovered that Daddy is good at setting up a tent in the dark. But the highlight of the summer was camping at Ohanapecosh! The kids have wanted to camp at Mt. Rainier since we moved here 3 years ago, and we finally took the time to go. The Ohanapecosh River is so beautiful and peaceful. We were sad to see all the damage the recent flooding has done on Mt. Rainier, and are looking forward to returning next summer. In early October we also took a quick road-trip to Utah to attend the baptism of 3 cousins. We wish we could have stayed and visited longer, but we had to get home for school and work.

Doug: There have been many fun things this year but the birth of Dana is on the top of the list. It was exciting to be with Melissa in the delivery room a month ahead of schedule. For the fourth time Melissa did a great job although Dana took her time to come out compared to the others. The kids are keeping us busy with their many activities. This year we got to see many of their baseball and soccer games. My church Basketball and Volleyball teams have continued our winning ways even as our group gets older and a little less flexible. With Dana being born Mel sat this season out while I played softball this summer; our team made the playoffs! It is a great group to play with and I look forward to next season. At church I have been working with the Varsity Scouts and we went on some great campouts this year. We took the boys to Potholes State Park in eastern Washington to fish and shoot shotguns ~ can you imagine more fun with 12-18 year old boys? The other memorable Scout campout was our annual Klondike Derby in February with the temperature dropping to 4 degrees that night. It was very cold to say the least. Our family camping vacation (as you’ve read) was really fun. Mt. Rainer National Park is beautiful and we all had such a relaxing time being out in the woods. We are already planning a return trip for this coming year. I am still working for Volt Technical Resources, but now I’m with the Operations Department. I can’t believe the year is coming to a close. We hope to see many of you soon!

We close the same way every year: We feel so very blessed in our lives, and are so thankful for so many friends and family who love us and support us in all that we do. We are especially grateful at this time of year for our Savior, Jesus Christ. We love each of you — As always, we hope that this letter finds you healthier, happier and wiser than you were last year. We look forward to hearing from you! Merry Christmas!

Love,
the Dillon family
Doug & Melissa ~ Laurel, Malcolm, Aubrey, & Dana

2 comments:

The Aprecios said...

I have to admit. I was reading this thinking, 'Why did they already finish their Christmas card for this year?" It was when I reached the end that I realized THAT WAS LAST YEAR! What? Its so crazy how time goes by so fast!

The Dillon 6 said...

hahahaha! I didn't even think of that. ;) I wanted to get it all set up (and transfered over from past years) sooner than later. I don't want to mail out so many pictures/cards this year...it's way too expensive!!