Laurel: * “Right now I am 7½ years old. I am a 2nd grader at Glacier Park. In school I am learning about Pioneers and Native Americans.
To help us study, we visited PIONEER FARMS. At

Pioneer Farms, we experienced a Pioneer child's life and we learned how to play several Native American games. My teacher is the same teacher as last year; she’s very nice and her name is Ms. Piche. Over the summer we went to various pools. We also went to Utah and stayed with Aunt Myrna and Uncle George. While we were there my Dad’s cousin, Uncle Brett, took us waterskiing. When we were skiing, and it was my turn, I went out in to the water. I was scared at first, but then I realized it was actually really, really fun! After one miss, I got up on the skis 3 times. While we were there, we also got to spend time with our cousins (Alex, Matthew, Tyler, Kody, Erik and Gretchen), and we had lots of fun jumping on trampolines. AND we visited lots of friends who have moved from other parts of the country. Once after we visited my Great-grandma’s house in Bremerton, WA, and helped clean her yard, we got to ride the FERRY back into Seattle. There were a lot of people on the boat, and when we went outside it was very windy. Uncle Andy, Aunt Sheila and Preston went with us also. This year I played baseball and soccer. The name of my baseball team was the FIREBALLS; the name of my soccer team was the SILVERHAWKS. My favorite part of the season was getting to know other people and making new friends. For the rest of the year I’d like to keep working hard and helping Malcolm get good grades, help my Mommy to get better. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!”
*this is a direct dictation from Laurel
Malcolm: I started school this year! So now I ride the bus (with Laurel and Ethan and

Hannah) to Kindergarten!! My teacher is Mrs. Mittelstaedt and I really like her. My favorite part of school is recess — I like to play Freeze Tag with my friends. Almost every night after dinner I ask Mom and Dad to help me write my name. While we were in Utah, my family and I went on the ALPINE SLIDE in Park City. The ski-lift takes a long time to get to the top of the mountain, but it sure doesn’t take long to go down on the slide! I came close to getting up on the water-skis, but got frustrated after Daddy told me, “Don’t let go of the rope, Malcolm!” and I got dragged for about 50 yards...you should have seen the huge wave my head made!! I was very excited to see my old buddy, Johnny-Bear from New York. At home I rode my scooter in the cul-de-sac a lot. And I love to go to the ditch and hang out with my good buddy Ethan. This was my second season of soccer and t-ball. My favorite part of soccer is when I get to be goalie. And my favorite part of t-ball is being the pitcher (??)! The first time we went to the PACIFIC SCIENCE CENTER I got to hold a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach —it was pretty cool, but I don’t think I’d ever eat one!! The next time we went there we watched “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” on the IMAX screen. It was AWESOME! I still like to make people laugh and I am learning to play fun games like “Elf Bowling” on the computer.
Aubrey: It sure is quiet around here now that Malcolm is at school all day. I play with my

friend Audrey a lot. We love to wear Princess dresses and take care of our baby dolls. I love to paint pictures with lots of pink. I loved our vacation to Utah, and had fun at the Hogle Zoo. And Mommy and I went down the ALPINE SLIDE soooo fast….I giggled and laughed the whole way down! I didn’t try waterskiing, but I loved being on a boat again...I wonder if Mommy and Daddy will ever buy a boat. I love spending time with cousins and had fun with my cousins Krillin and Kenshin who came and stayed with us for almost 2 months!! In August I had a mishap with a friend and dislocated my elbow. It took a couple rounds of X-rays to determine there was no need for a cast, but I did get to wear a sling for two days. It is still

very vivid in my memory, and I will randomly ask Mommy, “Remember when Tommy t’isted my arm and I had to wear a s’ing?” Then I get teary for a minute or two until I realize that my arm doesn’t hurt anymore. While Mommy was sick Nonie came to take care of all of us for 10 days. I had so much fun with her, but I was sad that Poppa didn’t come with her. I ask Mommy almost every day if today is the day the baby will come out. I don’t know if May will come soon enough. I’m very ready to be a little sister AND a big sister! I practice a lot with baby dolls and Audrey’s new little brother David.
Melissa: Our vacation to Utah was lots of fun! Camping and waterskiing turned out to be the highlight of the trip, and the kids seem to be natural waterskiers. We have many friends and family who live in Utah, and we were able to see almost all of them. The kids and I were on-the-go around the area quite a bit this year. Highlights include: Alki Beach in February (water was icy, but the weather was beautiful), the Pacific

Science Center, Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle Aquarium, Mud Mountain Dam, and Remlinger Farms (for strawberry and raspberry picking). As you might have guessed, we are expecting baby #4 on May 16th. The first trimester (plus) of this pregnancy held true to form, and was “worse” than the previous pregnancies. After several visits to the ER for IV fluids, I was admitted to the hospital for 6 days. When the IVs and medication didn’t stop my “illness”, the doctors inserted a PIC-line (percutaneous intravenous catheter) so that I could get TPN (total parenteral nutrition) treatments at home. (Which means that a small, plastic tube was inserted into a vein near my elbow and went directly to my heart, which allowed me to get nutrition without upsetting my stomach.) I am still amazed that our church friends stepped in and took such good care of us for nearly 2 months! Childcare, housecleaning, medication administration, and meals every day. If I hadn’t been so sick I would have wanted it to go on much longer! Life will change again in May when this baby arrives!
Doug: I am doing fine. I am still working for Volt Computer Services. This year has been very busy and fun I can’t believe it’s coming to a close. The kids keep us busy. I feel fortunate to have such a great family. This year I got to coach Malcolm’s soccer team along with my good friend and neighbor, Jason. (Go “Cheetahs!”). We had a great season and the kids learned how to kick, throw, and pass the ball, it was really fun. I haven’t done as many projects this year on our

house but our lawn is now in the backyard. The Truck we got last year (just before Christmas) has really earned its keep with all the projects it has helped with. I have been able to participate in Basketball and Volleyball with church and our teams have done well. Melissa and I played softball this summer and that was a blast, I was our shortstop and Mel played 1st base and outfield. Our vacation (as you’ve read) was really fun. As I told Melissa, the water skiing and camping were the highlight along with seeing all our friends and family. Now you need to come and visit us. I can’t believe number 4 is on its way. We owe a huge thanks to all those who helped while Melissa was so sick and Nonie coming up from California to help us was a relief and a blessing!!
We realize that we have been very blessed in our lives, and are so thankful for so many friends and family who love us and support us in all that we do. We are especially grateful at this time of year for our Savior, Jesus Christ. We love each of you — As always, we hope that this letter finds you healthier, happier and wiser than you were last year. We look forward to hearing from you!
Merry Christmas!
Love,
Doug & Melissa
Laurel, Malcolm, Aubrey, & baby-to-be
the Dillon Family
No comments:
Post a Comment