Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy New Year! (or Christmas 2008)

Our Christmas letter is our Happy New Year letter this year...between procrastination and a full-fledged White Christmas week (a rarity here in the Northwest!), we are simply running behind.

Here are some of the highlights of our Family Activities this year (click on the red or green link for full details):


Fanfest 2008 -- or, the Weekend that changed our lives...while we were at Fanfest, Doug started talking to an FSN photographer; they exchanged numbers; Doug and I talked in the car; the next day he decided to leave Volt and return to the TV industry. Fanfest will hold a special place in our hearts from now on.

Ohanapecosh v2008...we took our annual camping trip to Ohanapecosh. Doug could only be there long enough to help us set up and start the first fire...and the weather was less than cooperative, but we had a great time and can't wait to go back again!

We went Camping at Twin Harbors...we had such a great time at Ohanapecosh that we decided to camp at the ocean. It was so hot at home that we failed to remember that it would be a "bit colder" at the shore. Next time (if there is a next time) we'll be better prepared.

Wenatchee Weekend...it had been way too long since we visited our friend, Deb, so we headed over the mountains and landed ourselves back in her life. We had a great time!

Another Wonderful Wenatchee Weekend!...we had such a great time at the end of August, that we couldn't wait to get back to see Deb again. We're hoping to get over to see her again when there is snow on the ground.

Colleen Dillon Timothy...at the end of September, Doug's oldest sister, Colleen, suddenly lost her battle with cancer. Doug was able to fly to Delaware to attend the funeral with the rest of his family. Colleen leaves behind her husband, a daughter (who was married just before Christmas) and a 17 year old son. We hold Colleen in our hearts, and are so grateful (more now than ever) for the special week our family had last year at Aspen Grove.

Nonie's 75th Birthday...while the Dillons were together in Delaware, they decided to surprise Nonie for her 75th birthday. Kathleen drove up from Huntington Beach, Shauna flew in from Minnesota, Michael flew in from Delaware, and Doug flew down from Maple Valley. And boy, oh boy, was Nonie ever surprised!!

We hope you have fun reliving some of the other highlights from our 2008:

DANA...I was a busy girl this year. I'm only 2, but I am a redhead with a red-hot personality! I love to play with my best friend David, and some new friends, too. When I'm not riding one of my bikes outside, I love to play dress up and I love baby-dolls and doggies. I also like to boss my family around. If they're doing something they shouldn't I'm the first to tell them, "Don't do that!" I love to color ~ especially on myself. I am trying very hard to be a big girl and use the potty...but it's not always easy (for me or for my Mommy). By next summer, I'll be riding my bike with no training wheels AND I'll be wearing big-girl underpants! You can click on these links to read more about some of my adventures this year: My pretty face; I'm a Princess!; I'm a helper!; I a big girl!; I have freckles!; My 2nd Birthday; Talkin' to my Daddy; I didn't think it was funny!; When I used to take Naps; Ridin' in the Rain; My first stitches


AUBREY...I like to play PetPals (Leapster) with my friend Audrey. I like to do lots of things with Audrey she is my best friend. I hope the snow melts so I can play with my new scooter. School is fun and hard. I am in 1st grade and it is not easy. I like my teacher because she is so sweet to me. I played soccer in the fall and it was fun and cool. I want to play again. But I want to take dance lessons. I will do that next month. I hope I like doing it. My favorite color is pink and I love all things that are teeny-tiny. I will also be wearing glasses next time you see me. Mom took me to test my eyes, and I can't see anything close; my glasses will be SO cute!! You can read more about some of my adventures by clicking on these links: I lost my first tooth!; I love playdough and PJs; My 6th birthday party; The end of Kindergarten; I want to cheer!; My first Mariner's Game; I miss my Aunt Colleen; I grew this from a seed; First day of First Grade; Soccer rocks!; Toothless Wonder; I can be stubborn


MALCOLM...I'm 8 years old and I'm in 3rd grade in Mrs. Garmey's class. I like to play kickball, football, basketball, and soccer. My dad baptized me in June (on my actual birthday). I was very excited to be baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! And I also got to start going to Cub Scouts again!! This summer I went to swim lessons and learned how to swim in the deep end. I played with my friends and went swimming. We didn't go anywhere. Except we went camping at Ohanapecosh with our cousins. And we went to visit Deb in Wenatchee and we went to Leavenworth. I like to play on my Webkinz account. Next year I want to go to a skate park in Boise, go to a real basketball game, a real football game, a real professional soccer game, and a real baseball game. Here are some other things that I did this year: A story about my Lamby; a Poem I wrote; Terror on the Trampoline; I might be a pitcher!; OR, I might be a pinch-hitter!; I got baptized; Twenty Years from Now; A crazy-busy week; Finally -- I go to a skate park!; farewell fauhawks; I told them I could do it



LAUREL...This year I have entered 5th grade with the teachers Mrs. Hagen and Mrs. Conklin. They are very nice and have taught me lots of things I need to know in reading, math, science, writing and social studies. Next year I hope to be in an advanced math class and have a science teacher named Mrs. Yege, because she's been my soccer coach before! Besides school this year has been a very busy year. This past summer we didn't really do anything, BUT we did play with friends outside a lot. We also went camping at Ohanapecosh for the May Cousin Reunion. On the second night it started to rain, but thankfully there are lots of trees that kept the fires from going out. Although we all freaked out at first about the rain, in the end it was OK. One of the main highlights of my year was playing on an undefeated soccer team this fall. We won first place and our record was 7-0-3. One of the other events was my play, Hansel & Gretel; I was "Old Camper #4." I also got to sing a solo at the Creche this year. I am a good helper for my Mom, and I love playing with the younger kids in our neighborhood...their Moms like my help, too! If you want to read more about my adventures this last year, click on these links: A Sonics game with my Dad; I love science; Everyone needs one; Spring soccer; My 10th birthday; I'm a track star; A new Soccer Family; Undefeated!; Volleyball; A weekend that was almost all about me!; Honor Choir



DOUG... This year included a lot of changes. In February I left Volt to get back to doing what I really love, being a photojournalist (Bashe that's for you). I reached out to a great friend at CNBC, Jimmy Forkin, he had a contact at KING 5 TV in Seattle. Through much follow up with Ed at KING 5 and help from Ed following up on folks I was able to start freelancing near the end of April. I also was blessed to meet a photographer at FanFest, Kevin Bodhi, from FSN (Fox Sports Northwest) who connected me with the right folks there to get even more freelance work. I am so very thankful for all the encouraging words from my friends back in NY who knew I could get back in the game. Andy, Dave, and Basche your support really gave me the confidence to keep trying even though it took a bit of time your support really helped keep me going. I also want to thank my folks for their support and encouragement as I embarked on the job search. Most of all I want to let you all know my wife Melissa is the best. She didn't hesitate when I told her what I wanted to do that night in January ~ she just said, "I wondered when you were gonna figure out that you need to get back into it." The crews at both places are wonderful to work with and very talented. Since getting back in the mix I have been able to cover my passion (sports!) as well as some interesting news stories. Despite the fact that the M's lost 100 games this season it was fun to go out to the ballpark ~ if you're gonna lose, be spectacular losers :) The kids love to ask me everyday I get home, "what did you do today daddy?" I have also been fortunate get to do the camera in SkyKing (our helicopter), it is a blast and I have seen some beautiful parts of Washington. My schedule at KING 5 is 12:30 am until 9 am. For the first part of the shift I roam around getting spot news and then at 3 am the reporters come in and write the story for that morning. Once that is done I then edit it and we then go to a location and boom we're live on TV. Aside from work, our family has done some fun stuff. We took our annual camping trip to Ohanapacosh; Laurel was in a play and honor choir; Malcolm is in Cub Scouts and making bike ramps; Aubrey doing cheer camp and playing with Audrey; and Dana being the boss as the youngest :). The three oldest all played soccer and had a great time. With my new hours at work, I was able to be assistant coach for Laurel's soccer team with a great guy named Patrick Wisenburger. The team has played together for four season so Laurel and I were new but we were welcomed with open arms and felt like we've been with them the whole time. It was such a pleasure coaching the girls to an UNDEFEATED SEASON! They really played well as a team! The parents of the team were the best supporters ~ we always had the most cheering the team on even when we were the road team. I am looking forward to next year if you can't tell. I feel so blessed to have been able to leave a good job at Volt that allowed us to get established in Washington. I know it was the right decision to leave with no job prospects because it has worked out so well. The Lord blesses us in our daily lives so much and I am so thankful for all the blessings he has given me, namely my family. As I mentioned in the start of my update I experienced many changes this year. The one that has made the biggest impact was the loss of my oldest sister, Colleen Timothy. She lost a battle with cancer. Although we didn't get to see each other often due to distance we were able to keep in touch via email and phone and thanks to our family blog, Colleen got to know our kids very well. She would exchange emails with me about the kids' adventures and update me about her kids' latest accomplishments. It was a relationship I was glad to reconnect and thankful for the opportunity to have her know my kids. She will be missed. The last big change was gathering together for my mom's 75th birthday. While gathered together she told us, "I don't feel this old!" Momma, you're not that old cause I as well don't feel that old :) It has been a year for growth and change.


MELISSA...I have once again been reminded that I have a pretty good life and I am surrounded by amazing friends! Doug was out of work (by our choice) for a little longer than we anticipated. Even though we were having a good time at home together, we were really starting to get short on funds. So my sister, Sheila, placed me on a full-time temporary assignment (through Volt) at The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Doug stayed home with the kids; at least, that was the plan. Shortly after I returned to work, Doug also started to get freelance work. My friends rallied and helped watch Dana (and the other kids, too, when not in school). Part of my assignment at the foundation was to organize photo shoots from the work the foundation performs all over the world ~ and every day I came home grateful for the abundance of blessings we have in our lives...so many in the world go without even the very basic life essentials. I decided to attend my 20th High School Reunion...it gave me some time by myself to reflect on my life ~ something I don't do very often. Later in the year, I was reminded of the frailty of life as Doug's oldest sister lost her battle to cancer. We had some tender moments as a family as we remembered Aunt Colleen, and had the opportunity to discuss the Plan of Salvation, and that we know that Heavenly Father loves us and that this life is but a very small part of our eternal existence. Along that line, it has been very fun to see Doug returning to a career that he truly enjoys and has a passion for...it has made all of a little happier. As the new year starts, I'm looking forward to returning to a being a Full-Time Mom again (my assignment at the foundation ends on 12/31/08). I love my calling as Wolf Den Leader (I get to work with Malcolm)! But most of all, I really do love being a Mom and a Wife. I love our family!



Along with the many temporal blessings our family enjoys, we are most grateful for the blessing of the the restored gospel of Jesus Christ; we love Him and we worship Him. May your new year be full of wonder, blessings, and peace.




2 comments:

Rebecca Kidd said...

wow! what a year... glad we got to share so much of it with you guys. we are so thankful to have such GREAT friends!!!

hunterdnm said...

Melissa and Doug, That was so enjoyable to read your Christmas letter online. You do a great job at it. Loved all the pictures. I am sure your kids don't even remember our kids. Sure hope we can get together one of these years. Come see us in Hawaii if you can. You can stay with us...it would be soooo fun. Congratulations to Doug on the new job...it must feel great to be doing what you love. Take good care,
Love, Marlynn and Dave Hunter