Wednesday, December 25, 2002

Christmas 2002

The New York Dillons send Christmas Greetings!

Laurel: I finally turned 4 so I am going to school!!! In Yonkers, Pre-K is a full-day, so I catch the bus at 8:00 in the morning and get home around 3:30 in the afternoon. My teacher, Mrs. Ghiozzi, is very nice and I am learning a lot. I can tell you who is in my class (alphabetically) and I can also tell you their numbers (I’m number 12 — everything I bring home has a “12” on it!). Although I can write my name, sometimes “R” is hard for me, so I use the “M” instead. I have my own library card and I like to go and choose my own books and videos! I can do dot-to-dots, cut with scissors, paint, and I love to draw pictures of people. At Church I “graduated” from Nursery and now I go to Primary. I got to take a special vacation to California with Daddy this summer. It was so much fun to play with my cousins and spend time with my Nonie and Poppa. I wish I could see all of them more often! I love being the big sister because Malcolm will do just about anything I tell him to do — and Aubrey will too, very soon. Time has not changed the fact that I am a Drama Queen…

Malcolm: Yes, I’m in the middle, but my sisters are great, so I don’t mind. I am still shorter than Laurel, but I think I now outweigh her. Whether I’m eating or playing with my plethora of tools I like making lots of messes. I build castles with my blocks and then destroy them. Laurel and I have learned to conspire to do things we probably shouldn’t...when I get caught I cover my face with my hands, hoping Mommy and Daddy won’t see me. My bobo and Lamby are my two favorite things, and watching The Wiggles every morning is a must-do-thing. When Laurel sits down to do her homework, I have to do mine, too. I miss Laurel when she’s at school, but I have fun with Aubrey and Holly (our new babysitter), so I get by...sometimes I’m lucky enough to wake up in time to take Laurel to the bus with Mommy; sometimes I’m sad that they won’t let me go with her. I didn’t get to go to California with Daddy, but I did get a Bob-the-Builder tent to play in while they were gone.

Aubrey: As you may have guessed, I am the newest addition to the family. I had the good fortune of arriving on May 3rd — my big sister’s 4th birthday! When Mommy went back to work I was pretty mad, and I refused to take the bottle for nearly 2 months…fortunately, we’ve all survived that little stage. I have been a very busy girl...I am currently adding my 2 front top teeth, I’m pulling myself to a stand over my toy basket, and I love crawling through “tunnels” (under the end table, under the chairs at the table, through the exersaucer, etc.) Everybody says I look just like Laurel and Malcolm and Daddy. That makes me happy, because from what I can tell, they’re pretty cute! I am a happy and smiley baby, and I love to giggle and sing. I spend my fun-filled days with Malcolm and Holly.

Melissa: Life is louder and more fun with 3! I have learned that sleep is not that important, “kid leashes” are NOT cruel, tantrum melt-downs are not the end of the world (they just seem like it), and 8:30 pm is a bless-ed hour of peace. The kids keep us busy but very happy. Holly has been a fun addition to our family. It’s been interesting to have a Teenager in the house...although I don’t think of myself as old, there are days I sure feel like it! Work has not changed. I find it hard to believe that I’ve been at Baker for almost 9 years (in March)...and we are coming up on 10 years here in New York! My biggest joys this year: Taking Laurel on her first field trip; hearing Malcolm say, “I love you”, and seeing Aubrey’s face light up when she sees me. My biggest tears this year came from saying goodbye to our friend Diana who died of ovarian cancer in August. But through our goodbye I was able to make new friends. I know that I will see her beautiful smile again!

Doug: I am doing fine. Still working for CNBC doing all sorts of corporate crime stories at the many lovely federal courthouses of New York City. This year has been very busy and fun with our new little girl. The kids keep Mommy busy and I help where I can. I am a lucky man to have such a good wife who takes care of me and the kids so well. I work with the Youth in our ward and it has been fun remembering the things I used to do at that age. We have a good group and have done some fun things. Our house is constantly needing to have things done, but it is nice that it is OURS! We have really been blessed this year and are glad to be around for another one.

We are grateful for the many blessings that we have. We are especially grateful at this time of year for our Savior, Jesus Christ. We love each of you and know that we are so fortunate to have so many good friends and family who love us and care for us. As always, we hope that this letter finds you healthier, happier and wiser than you were last year. We look forward to hearing from you!


Merry Christmas!

Love,

the Dillon Family

No comments: